Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Horror movies are serious business!

I have a blog for my work and one for my art and this third one is one for my cinematic obsession: horror movies. I have never been able to explain why horror movies really appeal to me in ways that other movies can't. I love "good" movies, classic movies and consider Apocalypse Now to be the best movie I've ever seen. However, I keep getting drawn back to the tacky, the ridiculous, the lame and sometimes even the legitimately scary world of the horror movies.

This also goes for other genre films. Science fiction films are great, as are blaxpotation films and even weird, excessive arty films that cross the line into genre, like Tommy. I think it is the outlandish, otherworldly aspect of genre movies in general and horror movies specifically that excites me. It's fun to step outside yourself and experience a world where anything can happen and usually does. Escapism is important to me in a lot of movies. Oddly, I prefer "realism" in my "good" movies. Go figure.

This blog will mostly consist of reviews of older and more recent genre films of all stripes. I tend to be more of a horror fan so don't be surprised if I hit up a lot of old Lucio Fulci flicks or even have a series review of the Nightmare on Elm Street Films. However, I may also review something as bizarre as Howard the Duck in these blog pages. I am also going to discuss different aspects of these films that I adore or hate. I'm going to try to update three blogs a day so don't be surprised if one or the other gets lagged behind. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the great work I have ahead of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment